Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My first screen kiss

Boing Boing: My first screen kiss Boing Boing can be strident, eccentric, crass, tecchy, hilarious, political, crude, etc. But I haven't seen it be sweetly sentimental before. This is rather a lovely little post-- a touch of humanity in a technological age. Xeni Jardin reports a Wired post: "Walking through Tokyo's Ginza district one Friday evening last month I saw an extraordinary sight that will soon become an ordinary one: A businessman was talking into his keitai (the Japanese word for cell phone), holding it out in front of him rather than to his ear. Suddenly, smiling, he raised the device to his lips and kissed the screen. It wasn't hard to piece together an explanation -- the man was making a video call to his lover. His lover had asked for a screen kiss, or perhaps they'd synchronized one. It was my first glimpse of this behavior, and it happened in Tokyo, but I knew it wouldn't be my last. Soon enough we will see this scene repeated in New York, London, Paris, Berlin and San Francisco." There is a screen shot on the Boing Boing entry linked to above.