Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Co-comment again

An odd thing happened yesterday. I looked in my rss reader and found half a dozen "co comment" alerts. About a month ago I began using co-comment (www.cocomment.com) and then stopped using it becuase it did not seem to work. But now (a few weeks late!) all my comments suddenly appeared! (Dated circa 11 Feb.) The trouble is, I don't know if anyone has commented since my comments as I presume they are all delayed by a few weeks too. But good to know the system does sort-of work, so I'll continue using it, as surely one of the joys of blogging is making a comment to someone's post and then seeing if anyone else makes one too. And I can't possibly keep track manually . (I even made a couple of comments on the Dilbert blog about Scott's dubious use of statistics, but they probably got lost in the noise ;-) ) A small black mark for co-comment -- someone (from memory, Richard Ackerman who has a library blog) picked up on co-comment and posted on it. I put in the comments that it is a nice idea but does not work for me, asking if it worked for anyone else (no answers as yet). Some cheeky person from co-comment added a comment under mine to say I could go to their user forum, where I'd probably get to sort out the problem. I felt like saying to this person that he or she had missed the first principle of customer relations -- particularly egregious for a new product -- the customer is always right. They are not going to get much business outside the geekosphere if their service doesn't work, and if they then think this is the customer's fault and expect the customer to bother to stop what they are doing, go to their website, join some forum, scroll though masses of frustrating FAQs or click ask questions that don't get answered (black marks to Technorati, Google and Amazon on this to name but three) . What the customer wants is a product that works, or there won't be any customers! Anyway, I'll persevere with co-comment because I think it is a good idea and I don't know of any other service offering the same thing (unlike social bookmarking and rss-based personalised homepages, of which there seem to be several or even many). And I am sure the co-comment people are very well-meaning but just have a bit of an attitude problem --- which they'll iron out with time.