Monday, January 23, 2006

Denise Hamilton

Author Denise Hamilton Above is the link to Denise Hamilton's UK touring dates - London looks like 20 March with venue to be announced. Must revisit this page before then to check for details. Denise writes excellent crime fiction books: her main character is Eve Diamond, a Californian journalist. I bought her first book, The Jasmine Trade, through a book club offering a "new talent" selection. Since then, I have read the next two in the series and am waiting for the third to come out in pb in the UK. I imagine that Denise's tour is to promote that as well as the hb publication of her next book, Prisoner of Memory. Denise is also a generous poster on the Dorothy L list, being very encouraging of the work of other authors. I sent her an email in response to one of her postings, and she was kind enough to reply recently with the information about her UK tour. Eve Diamond appeals to me becuase you get three for one of my favourite topics: crime fiction, journalism plot (I just love books set in newspaper or magazine offices), and politico-ethical themes, so far about issues involving immigration and ethnic minorities. Sounds dull? Well it isn't. While on the subject of novelists I've discovered via Dorothy L, and the journalism-ethics-politics sphere, another excellent writer is Elaine Veits. She is more comic than Denise but her Francesca Veirling series is plenty hard-hitting, with an insider's perspective on journalism office politics. Great! And such a nice person, too. I had to leave the Dorothy L list, however. Not only was it providing me with far too many books to read (do all the people who post on it spend 24-hour days reading?), but it does not have an rss feed, so is not convenient to read/scan. This is particularly marked when something happens, eg the London tube/bus bombings of last year, when the members seemed to feel the need to express their empathy with us plucky Brits endlessly. Off topic in spades! If Dorothy L gets a rss I would be delighted to resubscribe via Bloglines. The very nicest person I met on this list (and there are some really great people on it) was Jann Brieschar. When she read on DorothyL that I could not get hold of one of Elaine V's books via Amazon in the UK and that Amazon US postage is prohibitive (more than the book), she mailed me her own copy of the book as she had read it! In return I sent her a couple of Donna Leons from Amazon UK, which she couldn't get in the US. But what a very nice person!